My principal research topics relate to the study of the thermomechanical behaviour of materials and the study of the mechanical effects associated with a mechanical loading. I am interested in particular in various phenomena such as the material instability due to the thermal softening during a high strain rate loading (adiabatic shear bands), the high speed and very high speed machining, the Portevin Le Châtelier effect and fatigue in the high and very high cycle regime. I developed original experimental techniques to measure temperature fields under extreme loading conditions: high speed phenomena, very small temperature variations, high temperatures, very high spatial resolutions...
- Material science (Virtual prototyping teaching unit; 3rd year of ENSAM)
- Structural calculations: lectures and practical works on numerical simulation with ANSYS (Virtual prototyping teaching unit)
- Non linear mechanics (practical works; 2nd year of ENSAM)
- Heat transfer (Lectures and practical works in first master degree, taught in english)
- Resistance of materials (lectures and practical works, ENSAM learning curiculum, industrial engineering)
- Multiphysic numerical project (Research Master MAGIS)
- 3rd year ENSAM Projects
- Philosophical dissertation, N. Ranc, 2004, "Study of temperature and strain fields in metallic materials under high strain rate loading".
- Professorial thesis, N. Ranc, 2014, "Contribution to the study of thermomechanical behavior of solid materials and structures".
- Lecture on the design and the optimization of infrared pyrometric devices, Summer school TICQ2014, 30 june - 4 jully 2014, Bordeaux.
- A. Messager : defense 18 september 2020, "Etude de l'amorçage et de la propagation de fissure de fatigue internes courtes en régime gigacyclique dans un alliage de fonderie"
- S. Yang : defense 20 december 2018, "Experimental and computational study of fatigue in FCC polycrystals"
- Z. Boussattine : defense 12 november 2018, "Conséquences of the thermal effects generated during fatigue crackgrowth on the mode one stress intensity factor"
- J. Girardot : defense 21 january 2014, "Interaction laser/matière en régime de perçage par percussion"
- H.F. Boyer : defense 12 june 2013, "Usinage à sec ou MQL - Quantification et prise en compte des dilatations thermiques durant le process"
- N.L. Phung : defense 10 december 2012, "Fatigue sous très faibles amplitudes de contrainte : Analyse multiéchelle des premiers mécanismes irréversibles"
- A. Blanche : defense 6 december 2012, "Effets dissipatifs en fatigue à grand et très grand nombre de cycles"
- C. Gaudillière : defense 19 december 2011, "Cisaillage à grande vitesse des essais à la simulation"
- Ors T., Ranc N. , Pelerin M., Michel V., Favier V., Castelnau O., Thiaudière D., Mocuta C., 2019, Microsecond time-resolved X-ray diffraction for the investigation of fatigue behavior during ultrasonic fatigue Loading, Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, vol. 26, 5, pp. 1660-1670 (Postprint).
- Meng L., Goyal A., Doquet V., Ranc N., Couzinié J.-P., 2019, Ultrafine versus coarse grained Al 5083 alloys: From low-cycle to very-high-cycle fatigue, International Journal of Fatigue, 121, pp. 84-97.(SAM)
- Yang S., Dirrenberger J., Monteiro E., Ranc N., 2019, Representative volume element size determination for viscoplastic properties in polycrystalline materials, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 158, pp. 210-219.(SAM)
- Torabian N., Favier V., Dirrenberger J., Adamski F., Ziaei-Rad S., Ranc N., 2017, Correlation of the high and very high cycle fatigue response of ferrite based steels with strain rate-temperature conditions, Acta Materialia, 134, pp. 40-52.(SAM)
- Girardot J., Lorong P., Illoul L., Ranc N., Schneider M., Favier V., 2017, Modeling laser drilling in percussion regime using constraint natural element method, International Journal of Material Forming, 10 (2), pp. 205-219.(SAM)
- Favier V., Blanche A., Wang C., Phung N.L., Ranc N., Wagner D., Bathias C., Chrysochoos A., Mughrabi H., 2016, Very high cycle fatigue for single phase ductile materials: Comparison between α-iron, copper and α-brass polycrystals, International Journal of Fatigue, 93, pp. 326-338.
- Torabian N., Favier V., Ziaei-Rad S., Dirrenberger J., Adamski,F., Ranc N., 2016, Self-Heating Measurements for a Dual-Phase Steel under Ultrasonic Fatigue Loading for stress amplitudes below the conventional fatigue limit, Procedia Structural Integrity, 2, Pages 1191-1198.(SAM)
- Torabian N., Favier V., Ziaei-Rad S., Dirrenberger J., Adamski,F., Ranc N., 2016, Thermal response of DP600 dual-phase steel under ultrasonic fatigue loading, Materials Science and Engineering A, 677, pp. 97-105.(SAM)
- Ranc N., Du W., Ranc I., Wagner D., 2016, Experimental studies of Portevin-Le Chatelier plastic instabilities in carbon-manganese steels by infrared pyrometry, Materials Science and Engineering A, 663, pp. 166-173.(SAM)
- Huang Z., Ranc N., Wagner D., 2016, Dislocations gliding study by IR thermography in C-Mn steels with different solute atoms content in the gigacycle fatigue domain, Key Engineering Materials, 664, pp. 177-187.
- Traidi K., Favier V., Lestriez P., Debray K., Langlois L., Ranc N., Saby M., Mangin P., 2016, Tensile behavior of semi-solid C38 LTT steel. Solid State Phenomena, 256, pp. 100-104
- Roy S.C., Franc J.-P., Ranc N., and Fivel M. Determination of cavitation load spectra-part 2: Dynamic finite element approach. Wear, 344-345, pp.120–129, 2015.(SAM) (Open Access)
- N.L. Phung, V. Favier, and N. Ranc. 2015, "Evaluating Schmid criterion for predicting preferential locations of persistent slip markings obtained after very high cycle fatigue for polycrystalline pure copper", International Journal of Fatigue, 77:115–127. (SAM)
- N. Ranc, A. Blanche, D. Ryckelynck, A. Chrysochoos, 2014, "POD preprocessing of IR thermal data to assess heat source", Experimental Mechanic, 55, pp. 725-739.(SAM)
- A. Blanche, A. Chrysochoos, N. Ranc, V. Favier, 2014, "Dissipation assessments during dynamic very high cycle fatigue tests", Experimental Mechanic, 55, pp. 699-709.(SAM)
- N.L. Phung, V. Favier, N. Ranc, F. Valès, H. Mughrabi, 2014, "Very high cycle fatigue of copper: evolution, morphology and locations of surface slip markings", International Journal of Fatigue, 63, pp. 68–77.(SAM)
- N. Ranc, T. Palin-Luc, P. C. Paris, N. Saintier, 2014, "About the effect of plastic dissipation in heat at the crack tip on the stress intensity factor under cyclic loading", International Journal of Fatigue, 58, pp. 56–65.(SAM)
- C. Gaudillière, N. Ranc, A. Larue, A. Maillard, P. Lorong. "High speed blanking: an experimental method to measure induced cutting forces", Experimental Mechanic, 53(7), pp. 1117-1126.(SAM)
- N. Ranc, A. Chrysochoos, 2013 "Calorimetric consequences of thermal softening in Johnson-Cook’s model", Mechanics of Materials, 65, pp. 44-55.(SAM)
- N.L. Phung, N. Marti, A. Blanche, N. Ranc, V. Favier, A. Chrysochoos, N. Saintier, F. Grégori, B. Bacroix, G. Thoquenne, 2013, "Very high cycle fatigue for single phase ductile materials: Slip band appearance criterion", Procedia Engineering, 66, pp. 615-625.(SAM)
- D.Wagner, F. J. Cavalieri, C. Bathias, N. Ranc, 2012, "Ultrasonic fatigue tests at high temperature on an austenitic steel", Propulsion and Power Research, 1(1), pp. 29-35.(SAM)
- N. Ranc, T. Palin-Luc, P. C. Paris, 2011, "Thermal effect of plastic dissipation at the crack tip on the stress intensity factor under cyclic loading", Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 78(6), pp. 961-972.(SAM)
- G. Sutter, N. Ranc, 2010, "Flash temperature measurement during dry friction process at high sliding speed", Wear, 268, (11-12), pp. 1237-1242.
- D. Wagner, N. Ranc, C. Bathias, P.C. Paris, 2010, "Fatigue crack initiation detection by an infrared thermography method", Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 33, pp. 12-21.
- N. Ranc, D. Wagner, P.C. Paris, 2008 "Study of thermal effects associated with crack propagation during very high cycle fatigue tests", Acta Materialia, 56, pp. 4012-4021.
- G. Sutter, N. Ranc, A. Molinari, V. Pina, 2008, "Experimental measurement of temperature distribution in the chip generated during high speed orthogonal cutting process",Int. J. Machining and Machinability of Materials, 3, (1-2), pp. 52-61.
- A. Larue, N. Ranc, Y.F. Qu, M. Millot, P. Lorong, F. Lapujoulade, 2008, "Experimental study of a high speed punching process", International Journal of Materials Forming, 1(suppl. 1), pp. 1427-1430.
- N. Ranc, L. Taravella, V. Pina, P. Hervé, 2007, "Temperature field measurement in titanium alloy during high strain rate loading – adiabatic shear bands phenomenon", Mechanics of Materials ,40 (4-5), pp. 255-270.
- N. Ranc, D. Wagner, 2007,"Experimental study by pyrometry of Portevin-Le Châtelier plastic instabilities Type A Type B transition", Materials Science & Engineering A 474 (1-2), pp. 188-196.
- G. Sutter, N. Ranc, 2007, "Temperature fields in a chip during high-speed orthogonal cutting - An experimental investigation", International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 47, pp. 1507-1517.
- N. Ranc, R. Raynal, L. Taravella, V. Pina, P. Hervé, 2006, "Theoretical and numerical study of strain localization under high strain rate solicitation", Journal De Physique. IV, 134, pp. 325-330.
- H. Xue, D. Wagner,N. Ranc, E. Bayraktar, 2006, "Thermographic analysis in ultrasonic fatigue tests",Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 29, pp. 573–580.
- N. Ranc, D. Wagner, 2005, "Some aspects of Portevin - Le Chatelier plastic instabilities investigated by infrared pyrometry", Materials Science & Engineering A, 394, pp. 87-95.
- N. Ranc, V. Pina, G. Sutter, S. Philippon, 2004, “Temperature measurement by visible pyrometry : orthogonal cutting application", ASME, Journal of Heat Transfert, 126, pp. 931-936.
- N. Ranc, V. Pina, P. Hervé, L. Taravella, P.F. Louvigné, 2003, "Experimental study of temperature heterogeneity in metallic materials under high strain rate solicitation", Journal De Physique. IV, 110, pp. 417-422.
- G. Sutter, L. Faure, A. Molinari, N. Ranc, V. Pina, 2003, “An experimental technique for the measurement of temperature fields for the orthogonal cutting in high speed machining,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 43, pp. 671-678.
- N. Ranc, V. Pina, P. Hervé, 2000, "Optical measurements of phase transition and temperature in adiabatic shear bands in titanium alloys", Journal De Physique. IV, 10 (9), pp. 347-352.
Selected presentations in international congress and workshops:
- N. Ranc, Principles of high speed thermography - application on the study of adiabatic shear band initiation, Worshop on High Speed Temperature Measurements, 14 October 2015, Southampton, England. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, A. Blanche, D. Ryckelynck, A. Chrysochoos, "Preprocessing of temperature measurement by IR techniques using POD truncated basis for heat source estimation", 12th International Conference on Quantitative Infrared Thermography (QIRT2014), 4-11 juillet 2014, Bordeaux, France. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, V. Favier, N.L. Phung, A. Blanche, A. Chrysochoos, "Very high cycle fatigue for single-phase ductile metals: self-heating, energy dissipation and slip markings", 11th International Fatigue Congress (Fatigue2014), 2-7 mars 2014, Melbourne, Australie. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, T. Palin-Luc, N. Saintier. and P.C. Paris. Thermomechanical aspects of fatigue crack propagation. International Conference on Full-field Measurement Techniques and their Applications in Experimental Solid Mechanics (Photomechanics 2013), 27-29 mai 2013, Montpellier, France. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, High speed and high spatial resolution pyrometry – application to adiabatic shear band in titanium alloy, International Workshop on Strain Measurement in Extreme Environments, 28 August 2012, Glasgow, England. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, I. Illoul, D. Wagner, P. C. Paris, C. Bathias, "Study of Crack Propagation by Infrared Thermography During Very High Cycle Fatigue Regime", 12th International Conference on Fracture, 12-17 juillet 2009, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. (Présentation)
- N. Ranc, R. Raynal, L. Taravella, V. Pina and P. Hervé, "Theoretical and numerical study of strain localization under high strain rate solicitation", 8th International Conference on Mechanical and Physical Behaviour of Materials under Dynamic Loading, 11-15 september 2006, Dijon, France. (Présentation)